Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Welcome to a place where tiff can spill the beans...

...actually that title may be a little misleading. It's not like I have some juicy news to spread. I just wanted a place to share some thoughts with friends as I wrap up one chapter of my life and get ready for another. There may be interesting news here and there but for the most part my entries will pretty much just be the chronicles of a woman balancing and coping with the stresses of meeting several demands (from graduate advisor, new boss-to-be, husband, child, needy mom, to even the OCD cat) at once as she completes a dissertation, helps touch up a fixer-upper to put on the market, moves her family a thousand miles or so to settle back into her home city (where family, in-laws, and any change that has taken place over the past decade will be like a new surprise adventure) all the while picking up strange stress-induced ailments--just a few bumps really, I'm seeing a naturopath on Thursday...it's cool. Interesting? Maybe. Comical? I'm sure. Enlightening? I hope I can learn and share some enlightening things on the way but I can't make any promises. Dull to tears? Perhaps, but that's when you have the luxury to just close the window and find something more exciting to read.

I've thought about starting this blog for a while but like a lot of my ideas, it took at least a year to carry it through. It's not that I am so much of a procrastinator any more; it's more along the lines of having so much to do that the only way to tackle what's ahead is to start with what's in front. This of course leads to creative ideas in the back of the line getting covered with cobwebs or sadly rotting away. The way this idea finally made it into fruition is that I found a way to rationalize it as a near necessity:
  1. It can be a good way to keep in touch with my wonderful friends that have been patient with my slow responses and contact.
  2. It will be a good warm-up exercise in the beginning of the day for working on my dissertation.
  3. It will relieve stress: writing without having to constantly pause in order to make sure I'm thoroughly and professionally communicating what the data represents is a sigh of relief.
Well, welcome to my blog. And thank you for reading this far. Feel free to leave comments so I can interact with you. I hope you enjoy my chronicles...

3 comments:

CC said...

Cute pic, that's exactly how I picture you in the morning getting ready to write your dissertation:) GO Tiff...GO Tiff!!

Unknown said...

Yes, great picture--makes me want to write a dissertation! I love your writing and am so glad that you'll be doing non-dissertation writing too!

Anonymous said...

Uh. . . Doctor? Thanks for the link to your online diary. I'm going to have fun catching up with my sister's busy life via the net. sweeeet!